Monday, December 18, 2017

Time to do nothing!

I knew it had been awhile since I posted an update, but I didn't realize it had been 2 months! This year is insane.

Since my last post, I've gone through 5 more rotations:

- Surgery: known as one of the most exhausting rotations at OVC, we are responsible for many patients throughout the week and basically live at school. We spend one week on soft tissue and one week on orthopaedics. I definitely prefer soft tissue; ortho is too much like carpentry for my liking! I got to scrub in and watch some pretty cool surgeries including some laparoscopic procedures.




- Diagnostic Pathology: a review of hematology, parasitology, cytology and bacteriology/virology. It was a lecture/wet lab based rotation and I was looking forward to a break from the crazy hospital hours, but after a day of sitting in lecture I realized that I'm much happier on my feet!

One of the coolest/creepiest parasites, the giant kidney worm. Here is is inside of a dog's kidney, completely destroying it. Gross!

- Radiology: helping with taking radiographs and observing ultrasounds. This was a pretty laid back rotation which was perfect because I wrote my NAVLE in the middle of it.

Doggie ultrasound :)

- Ophthalmology: I went into this rotation knowing little about eyes and came out feeling much more confident. I'm now constantly inspecting Ricky's eyes - the life of a vet student's dog!


- Anesthesia: This was one of the weeks that I was worried for, as I've never felt too confident with pharmacology and anesthesia. But the team has been awesome and I'm getting the hang of it - it's been really helpful to be able to see the effects of all of the drugs we learn about in class.

The NAVLE is now behind me and although it was an exhausting 7 hour exam and I won't get my results until next month, it feels soooo good to be done.

And now I'm on CHRISTMAS BREAK! I've never needed a break so badly. Today I've done absolutely nothing, and it's been amazing. I know I'll get bored pretty quickly, so I'm making lots of plans with friends while I'm here.


That's all for now! I'm going to get back to my bed and Netflix :)

Merry Christmas from this adorable reindeer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment